Friday, February 24, 2006

My experiments with paying guest accommodations at Bangalore,

When I first came to Bangalore after securing a job, I didn't have any idea as to where I can put up. Some of my friends suggested me to be a "Paying Guest" and i too found it attractive. Afterall staying as some one's guest all 365 days of an year is quite thrilling...

So i started something which can be called as a "PG hunt". The first step was getting a publication called Admag which lists details about available PG accomadations. I started off with lot of enthusiasm, accompanied by a friend. I was fascinated by the ads which i found in admag.... post modern house with all facilities:TV, fridge, 24 hours water homely food and what not!!!  I visited lot of places, but was welcomed by dirty, shabby rooms, bunker beds and a lot more :(

Finally I found a places which was neat & clean and stayed happily for sometime. Then i had to shift my job which implied that i need to find a new PG. Started off again from basics...................

I was really happy to find a good place owned & run by a lady from a affluent family. I shifted to my new place with a lot of expectations.

Then started the real drama. I got to eat some of the fabulous dishes of Karnataka, the smell of which is strong enough to put off any one's appetite. If any of you get a chance please taste them(from places recommended by me only) to get the real feel. Avalakki, pongal, uppid and lot more. ( hmmm these dishes might be very tasty actually, but our cook was specialized in spoiling any fabulous dish) This was followed by a torture of Kannada TV programs by the owner, serials which should be given awards for hitech drama and much more. Then a lot of shows depicting something like meanness(thenditharam in malayalam). Finally I was too appalled by the life as a paying guest and took up a house nearby.

Bangalore is a fantastic place, with a lot of opportunities and its cosmopolitan outlook. But I feel the PG owners in Bangalore have suddenly found a very profitable business and they are taking advantage of the situation on the non-Bangalore................

But irrespective of all the drawbacks, all the PG's have presented me an invaluable gift................... friends

2 Comments:

Blogger yet2findout said...

how cud 'they' manage 'u'..(kiddin)...
but a lot of adjustment is to be xpected when we walk from our home...

March 07, 2006 12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice to read.. even i am from kerala... :-)

August 14, 2006 4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home